K to 7
The aim of Health and Career Education K to 7 is to provide students with the knowledge, skills, and attitudes necessary to be informed decision makers and to make healthy and safe choices. HCE K to 7 provides opportunities to
- learn and practice decision-making and goal-setting strategies
- learn about their own personal skills and interests and how these relate to a variety of school contexts, recreational activities, and future careers
- learn the importance of effective work habits and transferable skills
- think critically about a variety of health and safety issues
- acquire the skills necessary to develop and maintain healthy relationships
- develop safe attitudes and healthy practices in a variety of settings
- learn about the range of courses of support and information available to them on a variety of education, health, and safety issues.
Health and Career Education K to 7 is designed to help students maintain, reinforce, and develop skills, attitudes, and behaviours that can enhance their personal well-being throughout their lives and prepare them to deal with a world of complex, ongoing change. The HCE K to 7 curriculum recognizes the inter-related areas of intellectual development, human and social development, and career development in creating healthy and active educated citizens.
Grade 8 and 9
The aim of Health and Career Education 8 and 9 is to provide students with the knowledge, skills and attitudes that will assist them in making informed decisions related to their health, their education, and their future careers. Health and Career Education 8 and 9 builds on HCE K to 7, and provides a foundation of learning for Planning 10, the required Graduation Program course. Health and Career Education from Kindergarten to grade 10 represents a continuum of learning, developing and building on key concepts and abilities from year to year that enable students to become informed decision makers and active participants in planning and taking responsibility for their own lives.
The Health and Career Education 8 and 9 curriculum provides opportunities for students to:
- practice decision-making and problem-solving strategies
- identify and explore personal, education, and careers goals
- think critically about a variety of health topics and decisions
- examine skills that help to develop healthy relationships
- develop safe attitudes and practices in a variety of settings
- identify sources of information and support for a variety of health and career topics
The HCE 8 and 9 curriculum recognizes the interrelated areas of intellectual development, human and social development, and career development in creating healthy and active educated citizens. This curriculum also recognizes the need for students to understand the personal relevance of their studies and to develop the knowledge, skills, and attitudes that can help them manage their lives more purposefully and effectively.